Friday 6 January 2012

Journalists Are People Too!

I must admit, I don't think I've ever had as much grief in my life as I've had over my opinion pieces on Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra.  And this is coming from an Arsenal fan, who has lived in both Leeds and Manchester!

Now contarary to what some may think, I know that my opinion isn't gospel.  It is simply my opinion and along with that, my job as a journalist is to report the news.

Now whether some people like it or not, the Suarez case is still news and will continue to be while people are wearing those t-shirts and Kenny Dalglish carries on suggesting that there is more going on than what was said in The FA's report.

Now some people don't like what I've had to say, which is fair enough.  And some don't think I should still be discussing Suarez and Evra, which is also fair enough.  You are entitled to your views, just as I am mine.  Freedom of choice means if you don't like what I have to say, it's probably best not to follow me on twitter or click on the links I post for my articles.

There is absolutely no point spending half your day on twitter trying to come up with ways to insult me, because in truth it's wasted on me.  Insulting my looks, or my appearance, or my writing skills have no affect on me.  Plus it says far more about the person that writes it, than it does me.

I love football as much as the next person, but this new blind support and hatred for any opposing fan is getting sillier.  Mental and physical abuse does not make you a dedicated fan, it makes you a fool.  One who can't see the bigger picture of real-life, and simply uses the excuse of supporting their team to justify their pathetic actions.

I know I'm not the only one who gets grief, I see many disgusting comments directed towards others in the media because they dare to have an opinion others disagree with.  And although it makes me laugh, it also disappoints me.  In truth; there's no need for it and more annoyingly, the insults lack imagination and are pretty crap.

One of the few things we are all entitled to is freedom of speech but some choose to take it to another level in order to get their point across.  Instead of sharing a bit of banter or having a mature debate about your take on things, we now live in a time where people prefer to abuse and bully others to supposedly get their point across. Though you very rarely get to see their point because they prefer to waste all their energy on being rude.

Sitting behind a screen and typing words in order to hurt or upset another person does not make you a big man, in my opinion it makes you a very little boy.  One who isn't mature enough to have an adult conversation, or maybe doesn't have the intellect to do so in the first place.

I know the sort of people that do this, couldn't care less what I think and like I said before, that's fair enough.  After all, each to their own.  So carry on spouting your bile and trying to wind us up with your childish nonsense. 

But just know that while you hide behind your screen thinking up new four letter words to send my way; I'm sitting behind my screen, reading it and laughing out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment