Friday 14 November 2014

Just one thing after another in this game we love

I was hoping my next blog would be something a little lighter, something a bit more happy or positive. But yet again it's been another week of football life where it's left me feeling like I could easily rip all my hair out.

Actually, there was something that made me smile. It's great to see how well the England u21's are doing, at a time when we often despair at the state of our national team. Gareth Southgate has gone about his business quietly and got a lot of talented youngsters playing some good football. A fact we all hope will benefit the seniors over the next few years.


So, back to my default setting of moaning I'm afraid.

What the hell is going on with the Football Association* and their investigation into Malky Mackay and Iain Moody's messages? Am I the only one wondering how long it takes to read a few bits of paper and - I presume - charge one or both of them for comments that were disgusting on every level!

It's something that has been playing on my mind as I had previously spoken about it on Sky News, but it jumped straight to the front when I read that Wigan were considering employing him as their new manager. Now I'm not adverse to Malkay gaining future employment, but surely it is in everyone's best interest that this matter is dealt with before he returns to the dugout.

It was August 20th when Matt Lawton of the Daily Mail broke the story about their correspondence or as the League Managers' Association referred to it; 'banter'. A statement that I couldn't find on their website...

So three months later all we have had is silence from the authorities regarding what they plan to do about the matter. If they plan to do everything at all.

I'm not suggesting we hang, draw and quarter Moody or Mackay; but I feel it is reasonable to expect the games rulers to looks at their comments and decide whether there is a charge to be answered. Whether they will both be charged is open to debate, as it is still unclear which man sent the messages - obviously this is something to be looked into. I doubt it will be that hard as the FA are technologically savvy enough to charge players over tweets; so some texts and emails should be a pretty easy walk in the park.

But a third of the way into the season, we still wait for the FA for let us know what the hell is going on. And we do have a right to know what is going on.

If Rio Ferdinand is deemed as a role model, then as a manager; so is Mackay. He leads people, most of whom are younger than him - so it's only fair he is treated in exactly the same manner. I mean; if Rio is punished for making a snide comment about someone's Mother, then surely the disgusting messages they shared warrant an even harsher punishment.

So you would think...

* In fairness to the FA, I didn't allow them much chance to respond to my email before posting this blog. They are normally pretty swift with their responses so I will keep you all in the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment