Tuesday 5 April 2016

Jack's back! In trouble. AGAIN.

Jack, Jack, JACK!!!

I felt I needed to shout coz clearly Jack Wilshere is deaf or is just incapable of listening to any of the considered advice he has been offered over the years.

Either he is just determined to aid his injuries in ruining his undoubted talent or maybe he has too much talent to handle. Or maybe I'm just giving an adult father-of-two too much credit for the latest stupid act that will only serve to prove the haters right. The video, pictures and testimonials surrounding Wilshere's drunken night out in London only serves to prove the point many have that young English players have more money and time, than sense. Because why else would he be out creating drama and acting like a teenager who has raided their parents drinks cabinet when first-team action and a possible trip to Euro 2016 in France are on the cards?

It angers me, and not just because I'm a Gooner. Is there anything more frustrating that wanting someone to prove you wrong yet they continue to prove you right?

I remember watching a teenage Jack boss the midfield against Wigan in a Capital One Cup game which saw the Londoners run out 6-0 winners. It's rare I rave about a player, but it was clear that day the boy had the ability AND the passion to make it to the top. And I laughed with everyone else when he drunkingly sang that Tottenham song as the open top bus drove the FA Cup winners around Islington. While heavily intoxicated. But maybe we shouldn't have been laughing. I'm not suggesting that Wilshere is following the path trodden by former England stars Tony Adams and Paul Gascoigne, in fact I pray he isn't, but he does appear to have a control problem. And for a professional sportsman, particularly one who has suffered the injuries that he has, that could well be equally as damaging. I'm not suggesting he live like a monk but there has to be a point when he starts to make better choices in life, not only for his career but for his children who will grow up witnessing their Dad's every exploit on the internet.

Because for all his talent, eventually those in charge will lose patience with his pathetic off-field behaviour. It is one thing to damage your own reputation, but quite another when you start to damage that of your employer.

I hope the midfielder looks at the videos and pictures circulating and feels embarrassed, because frankly, I feel embarrassed for him. I hope he realises that if he really wants to get drunk and act the fool, he's better off doing it in his lush million pound house. I hope someone he listens to gives him the kick up the arse that he clearly needs.

And I sincerely hope my fears for his career are wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment