Wednesday 20 October 2010

Oh! Wayne! Part Deux

And so the drama continues. What happened to the time grown men sat in the pub and 'discussed' their problems over a pint of lager? Now, they dump someone by press release. Well, Wayne Rooney has taken this route to confirm that he does indeed want to leave Old Trafford and Manchester United. So we're supposed to forget his previous bleating's that he wanted to stay at he club for the rest of his life and he couldn't imagine playing anywhere else. Apparently that was all a dream and he woke up in the shower three days ago.

So it sounds pretty simple. Or does it?

I don't think so. To me there is a certain whiff of something about to hit the fan. Namely Sir Alex Ferguson's P45. Before I go any further, this is merely my opinion. But from the minute I read the press release I had my doubts whether we were reading the truth or just another load of PR flannel.

The statement is filled with what you would expect but there were certain comments that peaked my interest.

"Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed
me from Everton when I was only 18

He talks about Sir Alex as a man who he respects and values. Understandable considering he was at the club from a fairly young age.

"For me its all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.

You last won trophy a mere seven months ago Wayne, what makes you think the club isn't the right place for you to be? Since when was Manchester United NOT about winning trophies?

"For Manchester United's sake I wish he could go on forever because he's a one off and a genius."

Why is he talking about Sir Alex's tenure?
Did anyone mention that?
Does he know something you and I don't?

Now assuming that this statement was written by a very expensive PR agent and not Wayne himself, can we really ignore the emphasis on one of the World's most experienced managers? Surely the PR knows there will be some saddo like me tearing every single word apart to find the extra muck underneath.

And that is what I see: A lot of muck.

Personally I don't respect the way Wayne has gone about it and his attitude has been appalling - in all arenas of the media - since South Africa. In my old school head he could have at least been man enough to tell Sir Alex himself. Like Sir Alex said: "We're dealing with agents who live in players' pockets." I also remember him saying something about parents, which eludes to the opinion that players in general receive less constructive guidance than they used to.

Anyway, I'm wittering. The point is I don't think it's black and white. Manchester United may be in debt, but they are Manchester United. And their fans will tell you: normal rules do not apply.

So what is really going on in Wayne's head, or what exactly is happening behind the scenes?

I'll tell you one thing though: It won't be boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment